Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Thing 16 - Wiki

My thoughts on a wiki in a library setting can be found here : http://newtechaacpl.pbwiki.com/ .

In my opinion, the absolute best aspect of using a wiki in a large system is the ability to share the responsibility for keeping the information up to date. A wiki tracks work that has been added and changed and is one centralized depository, so multiple people can manage and work on one information source. It allows work and upkeep to be spread throughout our branches - regardless of the size of our system or the actual size of our county! I say seize the wiki power!

1 comment:

theothers23 said...

The New Tech wiki is looking better all the time...the first time I checked it (several weeks ago) there was hardly anything there, but thanks to your link I took another look and it's becoming very useful. I also agree that the ability to share responsibility for keeping information up to date is a big plus. Years ago we used to revise various Ready Reference sources (government notebooks, etc) on a branch basis, and it was a huge duplication of effort. Wikis are the way to go!