Thursday, August 2, 2007

Technorati Tagging

Okay - here is my attempt to tag a post. Followed by my rambling thoughts as I worked through Thing 14.

I have to say, I started last night on this “thing.” I searched the "mdlearn2" tag that was suggested, and I had a great time reading through the results. It works! I received a lot of relevant results, all from Marylanders blogging about their 23 Things experience. The returns were fun to read. I’m sure I would not have gotten these results with a straight google-type search, but I must admit I haven’t tried it . . .

Today I sat down to begin the “Thing” in earnest. When it came time, I typed in all of the information i needed to “claim” my blog. I then pressed “claim.” The page was hung up for a while, and eventually I received this message: “Doh! The Technorati Monster escaped again. We're scouring the blogosphere attempting to find it. Back in a flash!” I wonder if this is what I’m supposed to see. I'll tell you what. I’ll wait a flash and see what happens.

Well, after a few flashes I went back to Technorati and refreshed the page with the text about the monster. Apparently it is still “borked.” I’m still trying to figure out what a bork is and what the page is trying to tell me . . . Also, I’m unable to get the video to play for me. I wonder if this is a result of the borking.

Okay. Now that a few more flashes have gone by, all is well. Everything worked out and I am officially claimed. (I ended up backing up the pages and starting anew). Now to tagging . . .

I think perhaps the process of tagging in html needs to be spelled out a little. I was initially a bit uncertain as to what I was being asked to do – I wonder if others might be so, as well. (I did add the code to the html page - but I didn't realize I should delete the brackets around tagname). Maybe a little further clarification in the “Thing 14” would be useful?

I’m a little on-the-fence about this module. I can see that Technorati can be useful, but I think it may be a bit of a tough concept for a quick online lesson. I also apologize to anyone reading for this very long ramble!

Btw – I went back to my delicious account and I have about 12 new sites in my subscriptions tab. How exciting!

No comments: