Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Thing 15

I thought the movie was great – though I don’t think we need to rethink “family” and “love” because of Web 2.0! J A bit of hyperbole, I suppose.

The idea of Library 2.0 is such a good one. I like to use the phrase “power to the patron.” People are empowered throughout society today to do more things on their own, and libraries can and should use this potential of the masses. We check out our own groceries at the store, do research remotely, telecommute, etc.

I’d like to comment on the OCLC article about Chip Nilges. Actually, I like the way the article describes the purpose of Open World Cat – which is to move library into the consumer realm and to reach out further in order to ‘touch the entire web.’ This is a great soundbite, actually. Also – the concept of “users add value” is such an important one for libraries to keep in mind. In addition, users expect to add value in the web 2.0 world.

No comments: